Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shasta daisies flowering at long last

My Shasta daisy plant has finally flowered in Macedon. The botanical name for my Shasta daisy is Leucanthemum x superbum. They are a member of the Asteraceae family which also includes such plants as sunflowers, dahlias, zinnias and chrysanthemums (one of my favorite plant families when it comes to their flowers). Unfortunately the Asteraceae also contains the dreaded dandelion which is the bane of many a gardener due to its tap rooted grip in the soil. Shasta daisies also come in pink and a sort of cream / yellow colour. This plant doesn't require much maintenance. I virtually never water it and the only real maintenance I give it is dead heading it after the flowers die. It also serves as a ground cover when not in flower.



No comments:

Post a Comment